My Current Reading

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

No goals, How's that work?

What is the first thing you think when you hear about people living, loving, succeeding and doing all of that without goals?  What?  Yep, living, loving, succeeding and doing all of that without goals.  You think some craziness is going on here.  And you might be right.  It's a form of enlightenment these people have.  Let's call them Zen Types for lack of any other name that comes to my mind this moment.  I am not referring to any religious notion.

Zen Types move forward in life with ease and generally do life without the filter of goals interfering with the experience.  They "succeed" in many ways that we define success and yet seem to have no goal system in place.  Let's peak at how it works.

Zen Types have a purpose in life.  They have it.  They aren't seeking it, they are living their purpose.  You might argue this is, in essence, a goal, and you might be right.  The point is They have it - a life purpose, however it was derived.  In having the purpose as the living intention, there is no need to establish goals.  There is just to live your purpose and let your greater self (perhaps the hand of God) guide you.  Your choices become part of that mission. 

Leo Babauta put it so great:

  • It’s all good. No matter what path you find, no matter where you end up, it’s beautiful. There is no bad path, no bad destination. It’s only different, and different is wonderful. Don’t judge, but experience.

Some of you may be familiar with Leo Babauta who did fantastic work with Zen ideas and has a great article titled The Best Goal is No Goal where he outlines the practice.

As I see it, I still manage my schedules with Outlook, get reminders of events, things I promised others and this too could be seen as "goals" in some way and for me, it is not.  The reminders are part of my greater self guiding me on the path of my purpose like a good flashlight.  It is the journey and not the end  of game destination.  No goals puts you in the present where the action really is and moves you out of the past and future.

I am really enjoying the ease around having things happen on my behalf (my purpose).  My purpose is to have everyone experience greatness.  I'm thinkin' Zen Type.


No comments:

Post a Comment